Tuesday, October 15, 2013

On Fear, Resolving Issues, A Shillong Born Voice and the Genius of Dave Chappelle


I. Fear



Why should I
Be afraid
That
The truth shall
Set you
Free?
All I am
Worried of
Is
That the truth
Shall set
You
Loose upon me.


II. Resolving

Give me sometime
To visit myself
And watch my life
Hung on a shelf
Before the future grime
Of nine to nine routine
Morphs into self-hate crime
And truly hangs me on a shelf.

Give me sometime
To quit and getaway
From this practiced life
That i may get by this day
Before my past’s grime
Coalesces in lazy style
Over my life’s prime
And posteriorizes this practiced day.


III. A New Writer (Sort of)

I was very pleasantly surprised by Boats on Land. Sure, it had traditional motifs and a timbre that would resonate wonderfully well with someone who grew up in Shillong. But there was more to it then the easily handed plaudits of "roots writing" or regional depiction. The love of words, the twist of tongue, and the phrasing were things that stood out. Stripped out of its current context, the thought and craft would still stand. And that is exactly why it is easy to look forward to the next book, the next piece. Whatever context it sets, the craft and technique should still remain.

Recently I blogged about Craig Arnold who possessed a wonderful voice. I think that she also possesses a distinct voice that is not distinct for its own sake. If you are interested in delving into more of Janice Pariat's work, you could do worse than start with her website. You could also whet your appetite at this link: The Saint of Lost Things.


IV. Why We Celebrate Dave Chapelle



Material, and delivery. Stunning. Every single time. Genius makes complicated shiite look simple, don't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment